Washington Speech and Debate is looking for an assistant parliamentary debate coach for the 2020-2021 academic year.
- Tentative times: Wednesdays (3:15PM - 5:15PM), Saturdays (10:30AM -12:30PM)
- Work with student officers to prepare lesson plans.
- Practices include: practice rounds, drills, content lessons, and debate structure lessons.
- Practices will be done via videoconferencing or in person, depending on the COVID-19 situation.
- Be available for online videoconferencing office hours.
- Office hours are used to review students’ research assignments.
- Help students with case-writing during preparation time.
- Observe students in rounds and give feedback afterward.
- Fill in if Washington is short on judges.
- Tournaments are normally held on weekends.
- Must be available to the club adviser by email and by phone.
- Must create a Slack account and check Slack messages from students daily.
- The assistant coach need not be available for all of the time slots listed above.
- Please indicate your availability in the application.
1. Contact Information
- First Name, Last Name
- Email (Gmail preferred)
- Phone Number
Please briefly describe the following:
- Colleges/universities you attended and degrees received / in progress
- Your major(s)/minor(s)
- Debate-related content areas you specialize in
- What city are you currently located in?
- Do you have access to a car?
- If Washington resumes in-person meetings, will you be able to regularly attend them?
4. Speech and Debate Competitive Background
- List what high school or college Speech and Debate events you competed in.
- For each event, specify how many years you competed in it.
- List several tournaments you had competitive success at.
5. Speech and Debate Coaching Background
List previous Speech and Debate coaching positions. For each position, list
- the school you coached at
- beginning month/year
- end month/year
- events you coached
6. Teaching Background
List any non-Speech-and-Debate teaching positions you’ve held.
7. Coaching Availability
- List your other commitments for 2020-2021 academic year (e.g. employment, college enrollment, etc.)
- Will you be able to make it to online practices Wednesdays 3:15PM - 5:15PM?
- Will you be able to make it to in-person practices Wednesdays 3:15PM - 5:15PM?
- Will you be able to make it to online practices Saturdays 10:30AM-12:30PM?
- Will you be able to make it to in-person practices Saturdays 10:30AM-12:30PM?
- How many hours per week are you available for online office hours? During what time slots would you most likely be available?
- What is your weekend availability? Will you be able to assist during weekend tournaments?
- What month would you be able to start coaching? Our summer practices begin in July 2020.
8. Interview Availability
List dates and time slots between 11AM and 5PM during which you would be available for a Zoom interview in June 2020.
9. Other Information
Is there any other information about you we should know prior to the interview?
Type up the answers to the questions in the application form in a Google Doc.
Title the Google doc as "Washington Assistant Coach Application - [Your Name]"
Send the Google doc to [email protected]